Sunday, November 27, 2005

Buttercup on the Beach



We arrived at my sister's house after a 3 hour drive. Ocean City, NJ looked like a ghost town. I barely had my coat off and a drink in my hand, when my sister and brother-in-law decided it would be a good time to take both dogs (mine, Buttercup and theirs, Buster) to the beach.

Buttercup had never been to the beach, so I wasn't about to miss her reaction.



I wasn't disappointed. I wish I had brought the video instead of the camera. When she saw the sand, she began to jump and run around. She was trying to smell everything at once, sand, shells, dune grass, whatever. Then she started digging.

If I was writing her dialog it would have been "What is this? No one told me about this white dirt. The more I dig, the more there is! What is this place? This is something new!"

Then she saw the seagulls and the ocean. She charge a flock of gulls, almost pulling my sister off of her feet. She ran down to the ocean, but stopped before getting wet. Barking and howling at people, birds and a surfer in a wet suit. I don't know if it was the surfer or the surf board, but she didn't like this one bit.

Meanwhile, her cousin, Buster, who is an island dog, looked on with bored curiostiy at what the beagle was doing. I'm sure he was thinking Shoebee!




The beach is wonderful this time of year. When I lived in Ocean City (my first 13 years) I always enjoyed autumn more than summer. When the cool weather came, the beach belonged to the islanders again.

My sister and brother-in-law with the dogs.

4 comments:

Claire said...

I really like that shot of Buttercup stretching forward to check out the shoeprint. Yea beagles!

Ryan said...

Dogs also act weird the first time yousend them down a hill on a sled.

Your dog is cute. your sister's dog creeps me out.

Anonymous said...

LOL...that must have been fun. My dog would look at the ocean and start thinking "uh oh, BATH!!!!"

Anonymous said...

Awwww. I miss my beagle. Had to find a new home for her when I got married the first time. She was a lot of fun.