Thursday, November 05, 2009

Holidaze Pledge

It has started. Actually it started before Halloween. It? Christmas decorations in the stores.

Now I have no trouble with Christmas (although I prefer Yule, but that's a different post). I have trouble when Christmas trumps Thanksgiving. Now Christmas has encroach upon Halloween, I must protest.

Christmas decorating should start on Black Friday. The day after Thanksgiving. This allows Thanksgiving to be celebrated in full.

But how will I accomplish this? I'm asking all of you (which is probably about 5 if I'm lucky) to help. Take the pledge:

I WILL NOT BUY ANY CHRISTMAS THEMED ITEMS UNTIL AFTER THANKSGIVING

Please keep in mind, I'm not talking about Christmas presents. So what if a store has sweaters on display. I'm referring to the obvious Christmassy items. Ideally, we should stop shopping at stores that put up the early displays, but since they all do it, we will wait until next year for that.

This is not going to happen overnight. It may take many Christmas seasons for the retailers to realize that we are serious. If you want to expedite the process, you could make a second pledge:

WHEN I ENCOUNTER A CHRISTMAS DISPLAY BEFORE THANKSGIVING, I WILL ASK A SALES PERSON WHERE THE THANKSGIVING THEMED ITEMS ARE, THEN COMPLAIN THAT THEY HAVE A POOR SELECTION, COMPARED TO CHRISTMAS STUFF.

If you would like to join me in this, please leave a comment.

No comments: